In 2011 she moved to the UK where she worked as a Cataloguer for Blackwell, Baker & Taylor and YBP/EBSCO, acquiring great experience in cataloguing books and ebooks. In September 2015 she moved to Cambridge University Press where, as Senior Metadata Librarian, she uses her knowledge of cataloguing and metadata to improve the quality of the metadata supplied to customers and third parties. Since 2017 she has been the Cambridge University Press representative on the Metadata2020 project and from 2018 Social Media Manager for the CILIP – Metadata and Discovery Group (Formerly CIG Cataloguing and Indexing Group).
A cataloguer and metadata expert with ten years of experience, Concetta is enthusiastic about meeting with people interested in learning about cataloguing, classification and the use of metadata in publishing. Over the years she has been invited to speak at library conferences about her work on catalogue records and metadata manipulation.
In 2020, she has completed the training course to become a trainer offered by LibraryCarpentry. She offers training in the use of cataloguing tools, cataloguing and classification databases and metadata manipulation, both in English and Italian.
Concetta is giving three masterclasses this summer. Full details here.
- Speaking at the Cambridge Libraries Conference 2020, Catalogue & Issue March 2020 https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.cilip.org.uk/resource/collection/5F814B6D-500C-42B2-9D5F-E6E3C550C24A/C&I198LaSpada_Speaking_at_the_Cambridge_libraries_conference_2020.pdf
- Book Review: Exploring Research Data Management by Andrew Fox and Eddy Verbaan. London: Facet Publishing, 2018. Ix, 196 pages, ISBN 9781783302789 (paperback), https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.cilip.org.uk/resource/collection/F71F19C3-49CF-462D-8165-B07967EE07F0/CI_196.pdf
- The Cambridge University Press metadata revolution, Paper presented at the CIG 2018 Conference, Catalogue & Issue December 2018, https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.cilip.org.uk/resource/collection/F71F19C3-49CF-462D-8165-B07967EE07F0/C&I_193.pdf
- How a university press is improving discoverability, Paper presented at the CIG 2016 Conference, Catalogue & Issue December 2016, https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.cilip.org.uk/resource/collection/F71F19C3-49CF-462D-8165-B07967EE07F0/catalogue_and_index_issue_185_december_2016.pdf
- Data Manipulation Using MarcEdit, Catalogue & Index 199: 27-33, https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.cilip.org.uk/resource/collection/5F814B6D-500C-42B2-9D5F-E6E3C550C24A/C&I199La_Spada_Data_manipulation_using_MarcEdit.pdf.
You can see our full bibliography here.
Concetta tweets from @ConcettaLaSpada. We’ve featured her on the Beginning Cataloguing Instagram a few times too:
Page last updated 19 June 2020.